Tuesday 24 October 2017

Vic Reeves in Coronation Street - Yay or Nay?

(This post was originally posted by Flaming Nora on the Coronation Street Blog October 2017, reposted to this blog with permission.)


Now then, I'm a big fan of comedian Vic Reeves... A Big Fan.  I'm also a big fan of Jim Moir (Vic Reeves' real name) in his acting roles. As Eric Morecambe's father George in the show written by Victoria Wood he was sublime. Read more on that here.

But in Coronation Street? I'm not sure he's worked... not for me anyway. And it's disappointing - but not totally expected. You may well disagree with me and I'd love to hear your views. I just think that Vic/Jim has a persona bigger than Coronation Street itself and he'll always be Vic Reeves to me, making the investment of him as Colin of Corrie a little difficult.

Don't get me wrong, there have been comedy moments from Colin - the high leg, anyone?


And I don't think we were supposed to particularly like his character anyway, were we? I mean, going after Dame Rita of Tanner as she lay in her hospital bed, determined to get the contract signed so that her flat went to him.

And as for taking over the Kabin... well, he wasn't meant to endear himself to fans, that's for sure.

I even yelled at the telly on Friday night when he positioned himself behind the counter at the Kabin as Jenny and her new best friend Eileen (?) and Gail did a group hug in the Kabin.  "What's he doing working in the Kabin?" I yelled at the telly. As yet, the telly has offered no reply.

And so... I really would love to know if this is just me having a moan and whether you loved Vic/Jim in Corrie.  But for me, I'm afraid, it's been a great big fat Nay.






Tvor @tvordlj on Twitter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A huge nay for me! I find him to be an insensitive jerk! Can't understand why in the world the character was introduced. Will be glad to see the back of him.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...