Wednesday 30 August 2017

Confessions of a Coronation Street Tour Guide (3 of 5)

(This post was originally posted by Flaming Nora on the Coronation Street Blog July 2017, reposted to this blog with permission.)


Here we go with the continuation of Aussie Pete's Confessions of a Coronation Street Tour Guide.

Missed Day 1 and Day 2 of our Confessions of a Coronation Street Tour Guide?
Check them out here - Day 1 and Day 2

Can you tell us any funny stories from behind the scenes as a tour guide?

The early tours were filled with nerves, hoping I didn’t make a mistake and be corrected by a fan of the show. Many fans know the most minute of details and were quick to correct if the wrong thing was said, however being the Corrie Fan I am, I didn’t have this problem… though a few did try to correct me with their incorrect facts! Being the only Aussie there (we did briefly have another Aussie in the shop, however she didn’t stay long), I couldn’t help but playing up the Aussie language. That’s where my nickname came from, ‘Aussie Pete.’ I used it a few times as a laugh and it stuck! Many a time I had guests asking me what an Aussie was doing in the cobbles and shouldn’t I be doing tours of the ‘Neighbours’ and ‘Home and Away’ sets. The amount of times I was asked to ‘throw another shrimp on the barbie’ was madness! Besides, we call the prawns!

On another tour, there was a woman who looked strikingly familiar. She was with a group of people and in the end, I asked if she realised how much she looked like …Sally Dynevor aka Sally Metcalfe! Her family burst out laughing and told me that they say it to her all the time! We even had a photo together!

One other hilarious moment came not on the tour, but at another well-known Corrie-related place, sadly now closed too. That’s The Old Grapes pub, formerly owned by Our Vera, Liz Dawn. We’d had a staff meeting earlier in the day and headed there afterwards for a few drinks. Little did we know that Bruno Langley and a guy from that other southern show were at the venue too! Heading off to go home after a nice evening, my housemate and I (she was also a Tour Guide) began walking to the corner when we heard a woman start screaming!

We looked at each other and laughed, she’d just seen Bruno, and kept walking. The woman screamed again, so we stopped, turned around to see the commotion and we were greeted with the woman running… at us! She was screaming “Aussie Pete! Aussie Pete!” I was floored! The woman and her husband came up to us and said ‘You were my tour guide a few weeks ago! Oh my God my Mum would be so jealous!” The husband hid his face, he was really embarrassed. She then asked could I have a photo with her and a hug? How could I say no?!? The only time I’ve ever felt like a celebrity! I certainly went home with a big grin on my face that couldn’t be removed for days!

Tune in tomorrow for Day 4 with more memories from Aussie Pete.

Missed Day 1 and Day 2 of our Confessions of a Coronation Street Tour Guide?
Check them out here - Day 1 and Day 2






Tvor @tvordlj on Twitter

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...