Sunday 6 August 2017

Classic Corrie

(This post was originally posted by Sophie Williams on the Coronation Street Blog in July 2017, reposted to this blog with permission.)


Recently I've been watching a lot more of the classic Corrie episodes and different clips, educating myself in the history of Coronation Street, if you will. I have to admit, I'm more of a fan of the post 2000 era so I gave the old episodes a whirl and I honestly believe that I learnt a thing or two.

I learnt that Hilda Ogden really is nothing less than a Corrie icon, a legend. From her pinny to her headscarf, her ducks on the wall to her vast mural, Mrs Ogden was never far from the centre of the drama. I couldn't think of anyone better to put in this role than Jean Alexander, and she really made the character what she is.


I also learnt that I'm a big fan of the original cobbles siren, Elsie Tanner. Played by the legendary Pat Phoenix, Elsie was glamorous and feisty, a real tough cookie. Modern day Corrie doesn't seem to have an Elsie Tanner equivalent (although no one will ever match her) but there could be contenders. A blog post, which you can read here, gave suggestions as to who could be the new Elsie and while I agree mostly that Carla Connor could have filled those stilettos, I'm all for a new character to come in and take the street by storm.

The final thing I appreciated whilst throwing it back to the 'classic Corrie', is that you can't beat the Coronation Street spirit. What I mean is the undeniable drama, the gossip in the Rovers, and the wit and humour that brings the show to life makes Corrie what it is, and that continues to this day.

It really is just an iconic Soap, a piece of television history that will continue to work its magic.

What's your favourite bit of Corrie history?

Written by Sophie Williams
Twitter: @sophie_jw26






Tvor @tvordlj on Twitter

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...